Minister of Power, Engr. Sale Mamman has attributed the recent shake-up in the Rural Electrification Agency (REA) and Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading (NBET) to non-performance of the affected Chief Executive Officers.
In a statement that his Special Adviser, Media & Communications, Mr. Aaron Artimas, issued in Abuja on Monday, the minister said that there is no proportionate power supply for the huge amount of money that the Federal Government has spent in the power sector.
He urged the citizenry to note that the recent removal of the REA Managing Director, Damilola Ogunbiyi and the suspension of NBET Managing Director, Dr. Marilyne Amobi was merely to sanitize the power sector.
He debunked the claim of some analysts and pressure groups that had predicated the action of the minister on ethnicity and other sentiments.
He said that “All right-thinking Nigerians are aware that since assuming Power in 2015, President Muhammadu Buhari has poured billions of Naira and attracted huge foreign investments into the power sector with the aim of improving the generation and distribution of electricity to Nigerians.
“Nigerians should be asking why there was not much improvement in the sector after such concerted efforts by the government and not to encourage “wailers” to sulk over public officers who had been in the Ministry for over four years without tangible results.